Feds say deported ‘Dreamer’ lost status, had criminal convictions

Erica Leyva with the Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network of San Jose, Calif., carries a sign outside a courthouse where a federal judge heard arguments in the first lawsuit challenging President Donald Trump’s executive order to withhold funding from communities that limit cooperation with immigration authorities Friday, April 14, 2017, in San Francisco. An attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice said the executive order withholding funds from sanctuary cities applies to a small pot of grant money, not hundreds of millions of dollars as claimed in lawsuits in California. (AP Photo/Haven Daley)

The illegal immigrant “Dreamer” who’s become a cause celebre for advocacy groups after his deportation earlier this year had actually lost his legal status by leaving the U.S. without permission, negating his permit under President Obama’s deportation amnesty, federal officials said Wednesday. Juan Manuel Montes-Bojorquez, the 23-year-old who is now suing the Trump administration, claimed he’d…