From Travel Pulse
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) announced this week that it will move to a standard 24-hour cancellation policy.
The new policy will roll out in the coming weeks for a majority of the company’s portfolio, which includes brands like Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza and Kimpton, among others.
“This new change will mean that the majority of the IHG estate will now operate under similar terms,” an IHG spokesperson told ehotelier.com.
Currently, IHG’s cancellation policy varies by brand and region.
“The changes to IHG’s cancellation policy will provide our guests with greater consistency when managing their reservations and offer certainty for our owners,” the spokesperson added.
Under the new policy, guests would have to cancel at least 24 hours in advance of their stay to avoid fees and penalties.
The updated cancellation policy will first take effect in Europe on Friday, according to Hotels. It will roll out in the U.S. and Americas on August 4, before being implemented in Asia, the Middle East and Africa by the end of September.
IHG’s switch comes one month after Marriott International introduced a 48-hour cancellation policy. Hilton has a similar 48-hour policy in place.
Hilton trialed a $50 anytime cancellation fee in late 2015. The 60-day trial saw guests who canceled their reservation after booking charged. As expected, customers responded poorly to the policy.
“If you want total flexibility, there’s a price for that and if you want a better price, then you’re going to have less flexibility,” Hilton CEO Christopher Nassetta said during an earnings call last year.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Southern Arizona News-Examiner